SMG IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS! Learn about how we're managing COVID-19 here.
At Sawtooth Mountain Guides, your experience is what matters most. We pride ourselves on providing a mountain adventure that exceeds your wildest expectations. Don't take our word for it, read what others have to say!
Bottom Line = Guide Help Climbing Borah Peak - was
EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR
I am fairly experienced mountaineer, but lack expertise in several areas and was in less than ideal shape, so -
Was looking for guide help from Sawtooth Mountain Guides - to
1. Increase the safety-factor (vs. solo) in a significant way (5 stars)
2. Decrease my overall travel time (adding to item #1) yet go my desired slow pace
Having a guide that had made this climb via standard route >30 times (38 if memory serves) meant - No wrong turns in the dark or accidental class 4-5 detours = decrease mental energy use (always greater if you are doing the route-finding and decision-making).
3. Allow me to choose the start time (way early) and pace, with the result I had hoped for (slow, but still off the ridge before lightning time).
JP (Jonathan Preuss) was ideal guide - very accommodating and providing the needed expertise in all its forms. And he was a nice guy to talk with on the climb.
BTW - For those only interested in the mountain - It was good fun -
There are plenty of other sources to gain more specific info.
6 stars if Trip Advisor would let me! In a nutshell, this guide service R-O-C-K-S, and Matt Scrivner was an amazing guide, cook, companion, and all-around amazing guy.
A long-time friend of mine joined me last minute on this 5 day trip in the Sawtooths -- climbing, hiking, fishing, exploring. SMG took care of everything (loaner gear, food, tents, portaging, logistics, boat tickets, planning, adjusting the plan for weather events). We saw a big swath of the east side of the Sawtooths, climbed Elephant Perch and the Super Slabs, caught a lot of trout, and hiked about 25 miles in total. Gear was up for the cold nights, and for the rain we encountered. Safety was job one, but the guide service did SO MUCH more than just show us where to go and make us safe.
1. FOOD -- amazing. Flat out great. Guide-created menus. Mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinegarette. Homemade soups. Burritos. Eggs and ham breakfasts. Granola. Sandwich makings for lunch one day. Pasta dishes with various sauces. Appetizers. Just incredible. And not freeze dried -- the real deal.
2. SAFETY -- the guide carries a radio, plus a rescue beacon device that can text via satellite to get weather updates. They bring some spare gear and first aid. And are trained in first aid. Most of all, they know the trails and landscape INSIDE OUT and you always feel like they are watching out for you. We got snowed off of the Warbonnet climb and the guide was super fast and efficient at getting us down safely. Great work Matt!
3. THE PLACE -- the Sawtooths are PRIMO hiking, climbing, and outdoor camping locations. The sunrises and sunsets. The moon. The stars. The snow and sleet. The sweeping views. The streams and rivers. The reflective lakes. The cliff views. The mountain tops. The hawks, and falcons, and other wildlife. This is the REAL deal for outdoor camping and experiencing the outdoors in a wonderful, isolated setting.
4. FISHING -- Our guide didn't do much more than point us in the right direction and we went in with 4 and 5 weight fly rods and caught as many fish as we could count. Not big, but a lot of fun. And a good way to have a small adventure alone without the guide right next to us. Two good fishing spots in different parts of the range, both productive and very enjoyable. So, get a rod and a license and add this to your mix if you like the idea.
5. CLIMBING -- Matt was excellent at leading us up some wet rock on Elephant Perch, and showing us the ropes on the Super Slabs. This is a GREAT place to get in some serious rock climbing and to improve your skills.
OVERALL RATING: A+
SMG is the real deal. Don't think twice about trusting your life to these folks and just go into the backcountry for a true adventure!
I am so stoked that I took my family up the super slabs with Sawtooth mountain guides. We are not climbers, but love outdoor adventure. The super slabs were perfect. My two boys (ages 10 and 12) were scampering up the rock with one of the guides in no time. My wife and I were quite a bit slower. It was challenging, but doable. A multi pitch climb in a gorgeous mountain setting. I’ve never done anything like it. The guides were awesome! So cool!
My wife and I, ages 62 and 67, today hiked up the giant slabs with Eric has our guide. We cannot speak highly enough of Eric‘s confidence, skill and encouragement. Neither of us had ever climbed anything more than a flight of stairs and this was a totally new experience for us. We made it to the top and wow what a sense of accomplishment came with it. If you want to truly forget your cares and worries go rock climbing up some serious terrain . You are forced to focus on the task at hand and your worries just fade away. Look forward to doing it again next year with SMG.
Erik and JP were fantastic and patient guides on our 3-day trip in Redfish Canyon. From a 7-year old who didn't want to hike very far to a parent who wanted to climb Elephant's Perch (moderate multi-pitch trad climb), they made sure that we all had a great experience. The base camp is set in a gorgeous canyon, and the guides cooked up amazing meals that we're still not sure how they conjured in the backcountry. Our boys just loved hanging with the guides. I'd recommend them to just about anyone, from families to more experienced climbers.
Trip with Drew and Matt. The best and hardest day I can remember! Both guides were so encouraging and patient with me who had never been on rope before. Also a big shout out to Stacey at the office. Without her encouragement and suggestions I may not have made the summit! Thank you for making a dream come true!
Our family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids (21; 19; 17 and 15) were paired with Drew, Matt and JP for a Summit attempt on Borah Peak. From the ease of booking, hike preparation discussions, and logistics of where to stay and meet-up the morning of our climb, Sawtooth Mountain Guides made sure that we were well prepared for whatever the mountain offered. All 3 guides were very accommodating to the diversity of our group's abilities and were knowledgeable and helpful in offering advice and services to make the whole experience very rewarding. 4 out of our party of 6 made the summit amid a significantly snow-packed normal trail which required a winter technical route deviation that challenged everyone involved! Many thanks to our guides for their encouraging spirit, technical prowess (and a willingness to share the same in mountaineering tips), and sense of adventure that was truly contagious and made the climb truly one-of-a-kind, rewarding and memorable! We were the only ones to summit (with the exception of 2 other individuals); there was no possibility of us making this journey without the professionalism and support of these fantastic guys! Sawtooth Mountain Guides are VERY HIGHLY recommended by all in our family!
This outfit did everything they could to help me prepare and have a terrific time. The guides Amy and Lara were super competent, super considerate, fine company and wonderful cooks. The terrain was beyond beautiful. Altogether a fantastic experience.
My husband and I had the honor to hike with Matt and Lara on the 4 day backpacking trip through the Sawtooth Mountains. Our trip was everything we were looking for and so much more! Stanley, ID is a beautiful place and we were lucky enough to see so many different terrains. We hiked through forests on trails, hiked around avalanche debris, crossed rivers, streams and waterfalls. We scaled mountains, hiked through a snow storm all the while witnessing some of the most beautiful views nature has to offer. My husband and I were challenged but Matt and Lara gave us the confidence to get through unfamiliar obstacles. We always felt safe and we were very well taken care of. The meals were fabulous and setting up camp was done quickly and efficiently. I am so thankful that I booked our trip with Sawtooth Mountain Guides and I look forward to using them again in the future. Matt and Lara had years of guiding and mountain experience and they educated us on the way. Do yourself a favor and experience the Sawtooth Mountains!
We (four hikers aged 59-67) hiked with Chris Lundy and had a great time. Stacey set up the hike for us and was so communicative and helpful. Chris spent four hours with us and talked with us about the area and all the classes and experiences you can have through Sawtooth Mountain Guides as well as in the town of Stanley and Redfish. Great experience for all of us. Hiked on 6-10-19