This 12 hour course has been identified by the American Avalanche Association as necessary for individuals who need a refresher for their Level 1 course. It is designed for persons who have not been to a Level 1 course (3-day field course) within 3 years. This course is considered extremely practical as a refresher for experienced backcountry tourers, and individuals preparing for a Level 2. The format follows an evening and early AM indoor class (4 hrs.) followed by a full day in the field (8 hrs).
The Companion Rescue Course is the 1st part of the refresher, and is included in the price.
Indoor Class topics:
- Snowpack Metamorphism; Fracture Mechanics of Dry Slab Avalanches;
- Tour Planning; Introduction to Field Observations and Record-keeping.
- Weather and Snowpack observations;
- Route Selection and Touring Practices with group;
- Beacon use/ Companion Rescue.
- Methods for assessing Snowpack instability, use of Avalanche tools.
- Dates: Dec 15-16, 2012
- Cost: $220.00 (Includes instruction, and course materials. Does not include food, lodging or tax)
- Location: Stanley, Idaho
- Instructors: Chris Lundy, Sara Lundy
- Registration: Contact SMG Office, 50% deposit confirms spot